Our History

he Varsity Club was established in 1888 and historical records at University of Auckland record there was a rugby club in the 1890's, but it had to be unanimously resuscitated annually... and new colours had to be chosen to give the thing a fresh start... upon in 1906 when the Council agreed to the students' suggestion of heraldic blue and silver.

From these uncertain beginnings a club has evolved that provides great spirit and camaraderie for its members, intense pleasure and occasional frustration for its followers and good healthy fun for all involved.

The award winning clubrooms besides the main rugby field at Colin Maiden Park were built in 1977 and provides members and supporters with a social facility that is possibly better than any rugby clubroom anywhere.

Registered University students who play for the club qualify for NZU selection with many famous names making their first impression on the representative scene as part of an NZU side